The WAEC syllabus for Catering Craft Service is the topic you must study to sit for the examination. It contains the aims and objectives, notes and format for the Catering Craft Service exam.
Studying the Catering Craft Service syllabus is necessary for your exam preparation. It will serve as a guide for you to know the topics to read. There are also notes on concepts you should pay attention to learning.
Exam preparations without using the Catering Craft Service Works syllabus are like going to the farm without your agricultural tools. You will end up not being productive.
Ensure you begin your exam preparations using the syllabus.
Let me know in the comment section if you have any questions. I will love to hear from you.
Table of contents
WAEC Catering Craft Service
The general objectives of the catering craft syllabus are to test candidates’
- level of development of professional attitude and skills;
- understanding of all food commodities in terms of cost, quality and use;
- understanding of the methods of cooking and the ability to produce a variety of dishes and drinks for various types of occasions, establishments and individuals;
- understanding of dietary adequacies and procedures for producing dishes;
- understanding and application of hygienic practices in handling food;
- acquisition of necessary skills required for the production of pastry and confectionery products;
- application of the methods of choosing, caring for and storing kitchen equipment;
- knowledge of safety precautions in catering;
- enterprise skills in menu costing and planning.
There will be three papers, Papers 1, 2, and 3. Papers 1 and 2 will be combined in a 1½ – hour composite paper.
Paper 1: This will comprise forty multiple-choice questions to be answered in 40 minutes for 40 marks.
Paper 2: This will comprise six short essay questions out of which candidates will answer five within 50 minutes for 40 marks.
Paper 3: This will be an alternative to a practical test and will comprise five short structured questions. Candidates will be expected to answer all the questions in 40 minutes for 40 marks.
WAEC Catering Craft Service Syllabus
The Concept of Catering
- Hospitality industry/catering
- Types of catering establishments
- Culinary terms
- Safety precaution in catering
- Sanitationand Hygiene in catering.
Food Commodities and Methods of Food Preparation
- Study of food commodities and principles of cooking methods.
- Principles of cooking methods and practical demonstrations
Service of Foods and Drinks
- Food and beverage service personnel.
- Types of food service and table laying/setting.
- Types of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.
- Costing and control in catering.
Kitchen Equipment and their Uses
- Types of kitchen equipment and their uses.
- Care and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Principles of menu planning.
- Types of menu and demonstrations.
- Special menu and demonstrations.
WAEC Recommended Textbooks
- Restaurant and catering operations by: Doyin Akin-Bankole Pub. Diamond Publications Surulere, Lagos. Nigeria.
- Basic Certificate Catering. A Hand book for basic schools: by Mrs. Jessie Osei Kofi Pub. Rainbow Publications Limited, Kumasi – Ghana.
- The Theory of catering by Cesrain&Kinton’s.
- Practical Cookery by Foskett, Ceserani&Kinton.
- Food and Beverage Service by: Dennis Lillicrap and John Cousins
- O – Level and CSE Cookery Angela Creese.
- The Kingsway Book of Cookery – Dora Seton.
- The students Cookery Book by: Ehid O’Reilly – Wright.
- Catering – A guide to Teachers and students by Igboanbusi, J.N.
- Essentials of Catering Management by: Omozuwa O.