AliExpress is a popular online retail platform that connects international sellers with buyers.
The Alibaba Group, a Chinese multinational conglomerate, owns it. The platform offers various products, including electronics and clothing, at competitive prices.
AliExpress has become a go-to platform for many Nigerians looking to purchase products online.
Knowing how to make payments on AliExpress from Nigeria is crucial because it enables Nigerians to access a variety of goods at affordable prices.
However, making payments on AliExpress can be tricky, especially for first-time users.
This article will provide a comprehensive guide on making payments on AliExpress from Nigeria, including the different payment options available to Nigerians.
Feel free to let me know using the comment box if you have any questions or need further clarification.
Table of contents
- Payment Options Available For Nigerian Users
- Comparing the Payment Options
- How To Make Payments On AliExpress From Nigeria
- Tips For Ensuring Safe Transactions On AliExpress From Nigeria
Due to the recent reduction in the international spending limit of Nigerian banks to $20, paying on Aliexpress has become quite challenging, especially when using a naira card.
However, Nigerian users can still make payments on Aliexpress through two main options:
- Dollar cards
- Virtual dollar cards
1. Dollar Card
The dollar card option requires Nigerian users to open a domiciliary account with their banks and request a dollar card.
This card typically allows for transactions up to $10,000 monthly. Users can fund their dollar cards by purchasing dollars from the black market and depositing them into their domiciliary account.
A domiciliary account is a foreign currency account that allows depositing, receiving, and transferring foreign currencies like dollars, pounds, and euros.
Various banks offer domiciliary accounts to Nigerian users, including
- Access Bank
- First Bank of Nigeria
- United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank)
- Zenith Bank
- Stanbic IBTC Bank
- Ecobank Nigeria
- Fidelity Bank
- Keystone Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Citibank Nigeria
- Union Bank of Nigeria
- Sterling Bank
- Wema Bank
- Polaris Bank
How to Open a Domiciliary Account in Nigeria
To open a domiciliary account in Nigeria, follow these steps:
- Choose a bank: First, decide which bank you want to open your domiciliary account with. Most Nigerian banks offer this service, so you can choose based on convenience, customer service, and fees.
- Gather required documents: You must provide certain documents to open a domiciliary account, including a valid form of identification (e.g. international passport, driver’s license, or national ID card) and a utility bill or other proof of address. You may also need to provide a reference letter from another bank or professional.
- Visit the bank: Once you have the necessary documents, visit the bank branch where you want to open your account. Request a domiciliary account opening form, fill it out correctly and submit it with the required documents.
- Fund the account: To activate the account, you must deposit an initial amount, usually in dollars. The amount required varies by bank, so check with the bank to know their specific requirements.
- Activate the account: After the account is funded, the bank will activate the account, and you will be issued a domiciliary account number and other details.
- Start using the account: Once your account is activated, you can start using it to receive and send foreign currencies, make international transactions, and enjoy other benefits of a domiciliary account.
It’s important to note that some banks may have specific requirements and procedures for opening a domiciliary account, so it’s best to check with your bank for their specific guidelines.
2. Virtual Dollar Card
A virtual dollar card is a dollar-denominated non-physical card designed for online payments, not physical transactions like cash withdrawals.
This option is quite convenient as it lets users quickly obtain a virtual dollar card from their smartphones without visiting banking halls.
Various platforms offer virtual dollar cards; users can choose from any of them or even have multiple virtual dollar cards.
Some popular virtual dollar cards available to Nigerian users include the following;
- Barter by Flutterwave
- ALAT Virtual Dollar Card
- Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card
- Gotok Virtual Card
- Payday’s Virtual Dollar Card
- Chipper Cash Virtual Dollar Card.
Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card
Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card is a payment solution that enables users to make online payments in foreign currencies without needing a physical card.
It is a convenient way to transact online and is especially useful for people who frequently purchase goods and services from foreign websites.
Here’s how the Klasha Virtual Dollar Card works:
- Step 1: Sign up for a Klasha account. To use Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card, you must create an account on the Klasha website. This process is free and only takes a few minutes.
- Step 2: Fund your account. After creating an account, you must fund it with the amount you want to spend online. You can fund your account using your debit card, credit card or bank transfer.
- Step 3: Create a virtual dollar card. Once your account is funded, you can create a virtual dollar card. The virtual card is a digital card that contains all the details of a physical card, including the card number, expiry date and CVV code.
- Step 4: Make payments online. With your virtual dollar card, you can make payments online at any website that accepts Mastercard payments. When prompted during checkout, enter the card details, and the transaction will be completed.
Benefits of using Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card:
- Secure: Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card is a safe way to transact online as it protects your personal and financial information from online fraudsters.
- Convenient: It eliminates the need to carry a physical card and enables you to make payments online from the comfort of your home or office.
- Accessible: You can use the virtual card to make payments on any website that accepts Mastercard payments.
- Cost-effective: Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card is cost-effective, with no hidden charges or fees.
In conclusion, Klasha’s Virtual Dollar Card is an innovative payment solution that makes online transactions easy, convenient and secure.
With this card, you can shop on any foreign website and enjoy the benefits of online shopping without worrying about the security of your personal and financial information.
Gotok Virtual Card
Gotok is a financial technology company based in Nigeria that provides various digital financial services, including a virtual card called the Gotok Card.
The Gotok Card is a virtual debit card for online payments and transactions.
To use the Gotok Card, you must download the Gotok app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and sign up for an account.
Once you have created an account, you can generate a virtual card within the app. The virtual card will have its card number, expiration date, and security code, just like a physical debit card.
You can fund your Gotok virtual card by linking it to your bank account or adding funds via a third-party payment provider.
Once you have funds on your virtual card, you can use it to purchase online, just like a physical debit card.
One advantage of the Gotok Card is that it is a virtual card, so you don’t have to worry about carrying around a physical card or the risk of losing it.
Additionally, the virtual card is a secure payment method for online transactions, as you can quickly freeze or delete the card if it is compromised.
Overall, the Gotok virtual card is a convenient and secure way to make online payments and transactions in Nigeria.
Chipper Cash Virtual Dollar Card
Chipper Cash is a fintech company that offers a mobile app for peer-to-peer payments and cross-border transfers in Africa.
In addition to its payment services, Chipper Cash offers a virtual dollar card allowing users to purchase online from international merchants.
Here’s how you can get a virtual dollar card from Chipper Cash:
- Download the Chipper Cash app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and create an account.
- Complete your profile by providing your name, phone number, and email address.
- Verify your identity by uploading a government-issued ID and a selfie.
- Link your bank account or debit card to your Chipper Cash account.
- Go to the app’s ” Card ” section and click “Get a virtual card.”
- Follow the prompts to activate your virtual card.
Once your virtual card is activated, you can use it to make online purchases from international merchants that accept Visa or Mastercard.
The virtual card is linked to your Chipper Cash balance, so you must have enough funds to cover the purchase cost.
One of the benefits of using Chipper Cash’s virtual dollar card is that you can avoid the fees and hassles associated with traditional international money transfers.
Instead of transferring money to a foreign bank account or paying high currency conversion fees, you can use your virtual card to purchase directly in USD.
Overall, if you’re looking for a convenient and affordable way to make online purchases from international merchants, Chipper Cash’s virtual dollar card is worth considering.
Both the dollar card and virtual dollar card options have pros and cons.
The dollar card option may be more suitable for users who frequently make large transactions on Aliexpress and need to access their funds quickly.
However, it requires the user to have a domiciliary account, which may be a barrier for some users.
On the other hand, the virtual dollar card option offers more convenience, as users can quickly obtain and use it without visiting banking halls.
However, it may not be suitable for users who need to make large transactions, as the transaction limit is typically lower than that of the dollar card.
To make payments on AliExpress from Nigeria, follow these simple steps:
Time needed: 1 minute
A description of how to make payments on AliExpress from Nigeria
- Open an Account on Aliexpress
If you don’t already have an account on AliExpress, visit their website, and sign up for one. You can use your email address or social media accounts to register.
- Search for the Product You Want to Buy
Once logged in to your account, search for the product you want to buy by entering the keywords in the search bar. AliExpress offers a wide range of products, so you will likely find what you need.
- Choose the Product and Add it to Cart
Once you have found the product you want, click on it to open the product page. On the product page, select the item quantity you wish to purchase and click “Add to Cart.”
- Check Out and Select Payment Method
After adding the item to your Cart, proceed to check out. At the checkout page, select your preferred payment method.
If you use a dollar card, select “Credit or Debit Card” and enter your card details.
Select “Credit or Debit Card” as your payment option if you use a virtual dollar card.
Enter the details of your virtual dollar card, including the card number, expiry date, and CVV.
- Confirm Payment and Wait for Delivery
After entering your payment details, click “Confirm Payment” and await the confirmation message.
Once your payment has been confirmed, Aliexpress will process your order, and you will receive a notification of the estimated delivery date.
You can track your order from your account dashboard.
While making transactions on AliExpress from Nigeria, it is essential to take certain precautions to ensure safe and secure transactions.
Here are some best practices to consider:
- Use Trusted Payment Methods: When making transactions on Aliexpress, use trusted payment methods like the dollar and virtual dollar cards. Avoid sending money directly to the seller, which may expose you to fraudsters.
- Verify the Seller’s Reputation: Before buying a product, check the seller’s reputation by reading their reviews and ratings. This will give you an idea of their reliability and help you avoid scams.
- Read the Product Description Carefully: Ensure you read the product description carefully and ask questions if you have any doubts. Verify the product’s specifications, shipping time, and delivery details to avoid misunderstandings.
- Check the Return Policy: Always check the seller’s return policy before purchasing. If you receive a defective or different product, you should be able to return it for a refund or replacement.
- Use a Secure Internet Connection: When making payments on Aliexpress, ensure you use a secure Internet connection. Avoid using public Wi-Fi as it may expose you to hackers and fraudsters.
- Be Cautious of Low Prices: While Aliexpress offers affordable products, be cautious of sellers who provide low prices. This may be an indication of counterfeit products or fraudsters.
In summary, making payments on AliExpress from Nigeria is easy if you know the available payment options.
With dollar cards and virtual dollar cards, you can make safe and secure transactions on AliExpress.
However, to ensure a hassle-free experience, you must take precautions to avoid scams and fraudulent activities.
Always use trusted payment methods, verify the seller’s reputation, read the product description carefully, check the return policy, use a secure internet connection, be cautious of low prices, and report suspicious activities.
These tips allow you to enjoy a safe and secure shopping experience on AliExpress from Nigeria.
In conclusion, AliExpress provides a vast array of products at affordable prices, making it an excellent online shopping platform.
Nigerian users can benefit from the platform by following the outlined steps to make payments conveniently and safely.
By understanding the available payment options and applying the best practices for safe transactions, Nigerian users can enjoy the benefits of online shopping on AliExpress.
Let me know if you have any questions or need further clarification. I would love to assist you.
You can watch my videos on the Studentship YouTube Channel by clicking here.