The United Kingdom is the second most popular destination for international students worldwide. They are renowned for their high academic standards, quality research, distinguished teaching methods, and top-notch educational infrastructure, and compared to other countries
The costs of living and healthcare are reasonable, so it is not surprising why many students would like to study in the UK than in their home countries.
Of course, before you proceed to study in the UK, you need to have applied for a student visa.
In this article, however, the main point of focus is to guide you on how to do this.
The method of application for the UK student visa differs slightly, depending on the type of visa you are applying for.
Table of contents
- Requirements for UK Student Visa from Nigeria
Requirements for UK Student Visa from Nigeria
The United Kingdom offers three types of study visas;
- Tier 4 (Child) student visa
- Short-term study visa
- Tier 4 (General) student visa
Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa
This is a student visa for children between the ages of 4-17 who want to study at an independent school in the UK.
The application should be made from the outside UK and must be made at least six months before you start your course
You usually get feedback in about three weeks.
The visa is valid for the length of the course, up to a maximum of six years although it can be extended.
For students under the age of 16, the course length is usually up to six years. Your visa awards you an extra four months afterwards.
As for students between the ages of 16 and 17, the course length is usually up to three years and your visa awards you an extra four months afterwards.
Requirements for the Child Student Visa
Here are the requirements for the UK child student visa;
- A valid passport
- An Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate if possible
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- An unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school
- You must be able to show you’ll have access to enough money to pay for your course and support you in the UK
- You must have your parent or guardian’s consent to study in the UK
- Tuberculosis test result
- And any additional documents that may be required during the application process.
UK Child Student Visa Fees
- The UK Child Student visa usually costs ₦162,000 to apply for.
- You may also have to pay healthcare surcharges as part of your application process.
Take note, however, that the amount you pay depends on how long your visa lasts.
Hence, you might want to confirm and check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply to be on the safe side.
Short-term Study Visa
This visa is usually only to study the English Language in the UK.
The courses last for about six months up to eleven months. If you have a different course entirely, then you might not need this visa.
This visa allows you to stay in the UK for an extra 30 days as long as you do not exceed eleven months.
Requirements for Short-term Study Visa
Here are the requirements for UK short-term study visa;
- You must be 16 years or older to apply
- You must have been accepted to study an English Language course which is no longer than 11 months in duration at an accredited provider
- It must be an English Language course
Note that you cannot change or study any other course while in the UK. It must be an English Language course.
Short-term Study Visa Fees
This visa usually costs ₦87,000
You also have to pay the healthcare surcharges as part of your online application. It usually costs ₦218,000.
The reason for the healthcare surcharges is so that you can use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
This type of visa is for students who are 16 and above to study in the UK long-term.
It is the most popular of all three and the most sought visa as a lot of Nigerian students, after completing their basic secondary school education, would want to further in the UK.
With this type of visa, family members of the student can apply to travel to the UK and stay there for the entirety of the length of the visa.
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa Requirements
- An Academic Technology Approval System(ATAS) certificate
- A valid passport
- Previous academic qualifications as listed in your CAS
- Proof of sufficient money or sponsor to support you and pay for your course
- A valid international passport
- You have to be 16 and above
- Evidence that you can understand, speak and write English
- An up-to-date bank statement
- A letter from your official sponsor(if you are being sponsored)
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa Fees
This type of visa usually costs ₦185,000 and can be paid online after filling out the application form.
It would be advisable to have an extra ₦5000 due to the difference in naira and dollar.
The UK also requires you to have a specific amount of money in your account a couple of months before your leave.
You might need the sum of ₦620,000 for up to nine (9) months before applying.
Hopefully, this article has been able to guide you on how to go about getting prepared and applying for a United Kingdom visa.