How to Transfer from A Nigerian University to A Canadian University

Transferring from a Nigerian University to a Canadian university is possible for students in Nigeria.

The process is straightforward if you meet the requirements for international student transfer.

The international student transfer programme in Canadian universities makes it possible for students to continue their studies in Canada.

But, you must know that many of Canada’s high-ranked ivy league universities have limited slots to accept transfer students.

For example, in 2019, Columbia University received 2761 transfer applicants but accepted 168 students.

This transfer programme is necessary for you not to start as a freshman when you arrive in Canada.

It will help reduce the duration of your course of study and the cost of tuition.

There are many reasons why you should transfer to the Great White North.

As a Nigerian student, you can switch to a Canadian university by meeting the requirements, eligibility and transfer process.

In this post, I will show you how the transfer process to a Canadian university works for international students.

Also, this post contains the list of universities in Canada that accept transfer students from Nigeria.

Let me know in the comment section if you have any questions or need further assistance.


woman sitting beside table reading book

Here are the requirements to transfer from a Nigerian University to a Canadian university;

  • Completion of at least one (1) academic session in a Nigeria university
  • Must have a minimum CGPA of 2.3 to 2.8 from a Nigerian Univerisity
  • Pass standardized English proficiency test (IELTS and TOEFL) result
  • Completion of 12 credit unit load courses (transferable credits)
  • Official transcript from your current University
  • Senior secondary school transcript
  • WAEC result
  • Transfer application essay

Read also: Best & Cheapest Countries Abroad to Study and Work as A Nigerian Student.


Teacher writing on a chalk board
  • Official transcript from your current University
  • Computer Science, Information Technology, Kinesiology and Bachelor of Commerce courses must be taken within the last five years to be considered for major, minor or pre-requisites credit towards a degree program. When courses were taken longer than five years ago, the transfer credit may be used only as elective credit.
  • Strict regulations set out by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) limit the amount of transfer credit granted for Engineering degree programs. Courses in engineering science and design content must be completed at a degree-granting Canadian Institution accredited by CEAB. The maximum number of credits granted is 30.
  • Some programs require a course grade of ‘C’ or higher for the course to apply towards a major/minor or to satisfy a prerequisite.
  • The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) courses are recognized for certification in several professional programs. Still, not all professionally accredited courses completed at other post-secondary institutions are eligible for a course credit exclusion towards a major, minor or prerequisite credits in a degree program. Courses not granted a course credit exclusion may be used as elective credits.

Read also: How to Transfer from a Nigerian University to a UK University

Transfer Process

Group of students staring at a laptop

The transfer process for Universities in Canada is slightly different. You need to know the requirements for the University that you want to switch to study.

Your current University here in Nigeria must send your transcript to the Canadian University for your transfer application to be successful.

Application Process

  • The transfer application process is by the UA application system.
  • The application fee is $80.

Canadian Universities that Accept Nigerian Students

aerial view of University campus

Here is the list of Canadian universities that accept Nigerian students for their transfer programs;

  • University Of Montreal (Université De Montréal)
  • Brock University
  • University of Alberta
  • Western University
  • University Of Waterloo
  • McMaster University
  • University of Toronto
  • McGill University
  • University Of Ottawa
  • Lakehead University
  • Trent University
  • University Of British Columbia
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of New Brunswick
  • Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada
  • Ryerson University
  • University of Ontario Institute of Technology
  • Wilfrid Laurier University
  • Hong Kong Baptist University
  • Mount Royal University
  • University of Calgary
  • MacEwan University
  • Athabasca University
Share on:

I am an Enthusiastic SEO Writer engineering helpful skyscraping content on the internet. A lifelong learner who loves to read, learn and write.

71 thoughts on “How to Transfer from A Nigerian University to A Canadian University”

  1. Good day, I am currently a first year pharmacy student at University Of Lagos. I will like to know if its possible to transfer and continue my studies and the options available.

  2. Hello,
    I’m currently in my 300lvl in ABU Zaria, studying mechatronics engineering.
    I would love to transfer to study mechatronics engineering in any one of these 3 universities, how do I go about it
    1.University of Manitoba
    2.Newfoundland and Labrador’s University(Memorial University)
    3.University of Guelph

    Thank you

  3. I have finished my first year in lasu as a nursing student and I am planning to transfer to a Canadian university. My question is that is it possible.

  4. Hello
    I am a 500lvl computer science student in futa, due to the strike I’ll like to do a transfer to mcgill uni or university of British columbia to continue my undergraduate studies.
    Chances are I might probably have to start from my 3rd year in canada

  5. can you share your contact? i am a nursing student in 300 level with 4.74 gp and i want to transfer to a canadian university

  6. Hello Blessing
    I’m just completed my 200lvl in Babcock university as an accounting student and I’ll be relocating as a permanent resident to canada around November period
    Do you have schools you can help me with that I can apply to as a transfer student and schools that will still accept me for winter intake around January
    And if you can help me on how they calculate their credit system in the schools
    And if you have links on the schools application so it can be easy for me
    And also if you know any school that the application will be opened for winter intake by January I’ll be really grateful if you can send me some school list since some schools keep saying application are closed
    And I’ve tried looking at university of Manitoba, university of Calgaryand University of British Columbia

    • Dear Fortune,

      I researched and thus far, it’ll be hard to find a university application for January but you can try the University of Alberta.

  7. Hello Blessing
    I’m just completed my 200lvl in Babcock university as an accounting student and I’ll be relocating as a permanent resident to canada around November period
    Do you have schools you can help me with that I can apply to as a transfer student and schools that will still accept me for winter intake around January
    And if you can help me on how they calculate their credit system in the schools
    And if you have links on the schools application so it can be easy for me
    And also if you know any school that the application will be opened for winter intake by January I’ll be really grateful if you can send me some school list since some schools keep saying application are closed
    And I’ve tried looking at university of Manitoba, university of Calgaryand University of British Columbia
    Thank you

  8. Hello ma/sir, thank you so much for this article as it really was helpful and timely.

    My name is Ruth , a student of business Administration and I’m looking to transfer to any university in Calgary or Alberta province. It has been difficult getting a university that offers the exact course for BSc.
    I’d to ask ma/sir the opportunity to reach you via email or any social media platform.

  9. Hello Blessing, I’m an Electronics and Electrical Engineering student, level 4 at OAU with a cgpa of 2.4-2.7 and I want to transfer to any eligible university in Canada. I read university of Manitoba is quite good. Can i get more info on this? Thanks a lot.

    • Dear Bayo,

      Below is the information I was able to get at the University of Manitoba website for transfer students.

      We assess transfer credit after we have received your application, which includes your transcripts and course outlines. Each course is assessed by the applicable unit on campus and assigned a UM equivalent, if one exists. In some cases where an equivalent does not exist, you may receive general (unallocated) credit.

      All transfers are subject to specific faculty, school, and college regulations and requirements. Regulations may vary depending on the faculty or school of application; some may only consider courses completed within the last 10 years.

  10. Hi, I am Oyin
    A 500L Medical Student in Nigerian university. I saw a comment where you advised we finished here before transfer cause it’s kind of difficult and we don’t use the same schedule.
    But is it still possible to transfer to Canada or any other country like Australia?
    If yes, where do I start from

    • Good day Soyombo,
      Transferring to a Canadian or Australian University at your level is quite difficult and may not be accepted because it is considered that you are almost done with the course.

  11. Hello
    Good day,
    I want to know how I can transfer to Canada, I am currently a 300 level student in the federal university of technology minna, computer science
    Please can it be broken down to me I will really love this opportunity

        • To begin the process, you must complete the Memorial University general application. Please include your final transcripts and course descriptions for any course that you wish to transfer.

          Each applicant is processed on a case-by-case basis. Transfer credit can be a lengthy process and therefore, the earlier you apply the better. For more info on the process please see:

          • Matre,

            What is your current institution and course of study?

            Suppose you have completed courses at another recognized post-secondary institution or have completed courses in another recognized faculty, school or college in Nigeria.

            In that case, you may qualify as a transfer student.

            You also may be eligible for transfer credit for your prior post-secondary coursework.

            Applicants will be considered for admission on their post-secondary grades; however, you are encouraged to provide your secondary/high school transcripts, and transcripts may still be needed for courses requiring prerequisites.

            Also, there are International Undergraduate Student Scholarship and Financial Aids for Nigerian students at the University of Manitoba.

  12. Hello, I’m promise. I’m currently in 300l in tai solarin University of education before the strike my CGPA is 3.1, i do not understand the transfer process can you explain. I would like to know how i can transfer to a university in Canada.

    • Hello Promise,

      Do you mean the eligibility and transfer process in this post are unclear to you?

      Let me see how best to assist you.

      What is your course of study, and which Canadian University do you want to transfer to from your institution?

  13. Hello sir,my cousin is studying political science in the university of ibadan(100 level).
    He is planning to transfer to any university in Canada next year
    Please,any advise for him

    • Hello Victor,

      I hope you are having a nice day.

      Do you guys have any Canadian universities in mind for the transfer?

      I guess finance with the transfer and tuition fee would not be a problem.

  14. Hi sir , I’m a 3rd year student of microbiology at the university of NIGERIA Nsukka.I am currently looking to transfer to Canada to continue my studies but I can’t get my official transcript due to the ongoing ASUU strike . Are there any other options

    • Hello Kyrie,

      It is nice to hear from you.

      Concerning your question, there are no alternate options here.

      Submission of transcript is necessary for you to transfer to a Canadian university.

      It is the only way for the school to verify your university enrollment here in Nigeria.

      Except, of course, you want to start your studies in the first year in Canada.

      Let me know if you have further questions.

  15. Hello sir, as a Nigeria institution 400level Accounting student, is the transfer still possible in order to resume at the same 400 final year level abroad?

    • Why would you want to transfer while in your final year?

      I advise you to finish your undergraduate program and then go to Canada for your Postgraduate studies.

  16. I’m Victor…i don’t know if it’ll be possible for me to gain admission into a reputable Canadian university without the use of English proficiency test results
    Are those on our waec results not recognized?

    • Yes, Victor

      You can gain admission to most of the universities in Canada without an English Proficiency certificate.

      Below is a list of some of the universities in Canada that does not require IELTS;

      University of Winnipeg
      University of Saskatchewan
      Brock University
      Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
      Carleton University
      University of Regina
      Cambrian College
      Concordia University

      • Hello sir!
        My questions are
        1. What are the requirements to study Medicine in Canada (University of Alberta or University of Manitoba) as an highschool graduate?
        2. Can I swith from Microbiology in OOU to Medicine in Universities mentioned above or any other university in Canada after 100 Level?

    • Hello, Good moy,

      I hope you are having a wonderful day.

      The answer to your question is yes.

      There is no direct route to study for a Doctor of Pharmacy degree at Canadian universities.

      You must have completed 60 credit units in Science related subjects at your current university.

      Note that you cannot continue from the 400L level in Canada.

      The following are the universities in Canada that offer the Pharmacy program.

      Dalhousie University
      Memorial University of Newfoundland
      Université de Montréal
      Université Laval
      University of Alberta
      University of British Columbia
      University of Manitoba
      University of Saskatchewan
      University of Toronto
      University of Waterloo

      Let me know if you have further questions.

    • Am a part time student here in Nigeria 400l but the strike going on I don’t no if it’s possible to transfer from Nigeria to continue in Canada if you please how ?

  17. Hi…I’m currently a 500l medical student at a private school here in Nigeria. I want to know if it’s possible for me to transfer to medical school in Canada and the whole process involved

    • Hello Favour,

      It would not be a straightforward process to transfer to a Medical school in Canada.

      Canadian universities and Nigerian medical schools do not have the same structure.

      The best advice will be to finish your medical program in Nigeria.

      Let me know if you have further questions.

  18. I am a 4th year law student, I plan on transferring to a Canadian University, probably university of Manitoba. I don’t mind starting from year 2 as my current university is on strike. Is it possible to transfer as a law student.

  19. My sister is a 3Lstudent of kwasu studying environmental health science with CGPA 2.09, I want to ask if can still continue her course with her normal level in Canada?

    • Yes, Blessing

      She can transfer to a University in Canada if she is able to get her academic transcript.

      The first step is to choose a school in Canada she is interested in studying.

      Then, further, inquiries can then take place.

      Let me know if you have further questions.

  20. Hi Blessing,

    I’m a student of Uniport with my CGPA at 3.61. I wish to transfer into a Canadian University but for my first 2 semesters I had 1 D in a math course (first & second semester). Do you think I stand a chance for transfer and should still apply?

    • Hello Eddie,

      You stand a chance to transfer to a Canadian university.

      But you will have to contact the school to evaluate your result.

  21. Please I saw WAEC result as a requirement, I used neco to gain admission as I had a D in math in my Waec. So is NECO result being accepted by Canada universities?

    • Hello Valentina,

      Universities in Canada accept NECO results for admission.

      Let me know if you have any further questions.

  22. My brother a 200level student of Elizade University studying Computer Engineering with CGPA 4.65, please I want ask if he still requires IELTS to be a transfer student in any of the Canadian Universities.

    • Yes, Akinola

      Your brother needs to possess an English Proficiency Certification.

      Though, some Canadian universities may provide a waiver for the proficiency certication.

      His current school may then provide a letter of recommendation.

      It all depends on the Canadian University he wants to attend.

      • Hi.. I’m angel… I’m totally confused about the whole requirements.. Can someone please break it down for me… I’m sooo eager to study in mcgill… I’ve applied at the mailing stuff.. And it was approved.. I don’t know what to do next


Leave a Comment