Now in its 11th edition, the UBA National Essay Competition, targeted at senior secondary students in Nigeria is organized annually, as part of the UBA Foundation’s education initiative which is aimed at promoting the reading culture and encouraging healthy and intellectual competition amongst secondary school students in Nigeria and across Africa.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): UBA Foundation’s Education Initiative
Scholarship Type: Educational Grant
Scholarship Worth: ₦3 million
Number of Awards: 3
Study Level: Secondary School
Application Deadline: Friday, 29th October
Must be a secondary school student
- Must submit a handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a copy of a birth certificate, National ID or Passport
Entries received for the competition will be reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges made up of professors from reputable Nigerian Universities, who will then shortlist 12 essays for further assessment
Following this, the second round of competition will involve the 12 finalists who will write a second supervised essay from which the three best essays will be selected as the overall winners from the 12 finalists who emerged from the first round of the competition.
What is the role of technology in educating the African youth?
The first prize for the UBA National Essay Competition is a ₦3 million educational grant to any African University of their choice, while the second and third prizes are ₦2.5 million and ₦2 million in educational grants to African Universities, respectively.
How to Apply
- Applicant must submit their completed contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address and Email Address).
- Applicants must attach photocopies of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.