The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) are organizing an essay competition to commemorate the 2021 World Maritime Day with the theme ‘Seafarers at the Core Of Shipping’s Future’.
The essay competition is designed to create awareness of the tremendous opportunities in the maritime sector and engender the interest of Nigerian youths to pursue careers in it.
The World Maritime Day is celebrated by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and by member states globally to focus attention on the importance of shipping safety, maritime security, marine environment, seafarers and other specific aspects of IMO’s work.
The topic is ‘Seafarers at the Core Of Shipping’s Future’ in line with the theme of the 2021 World Maritime Day.
- The essay competition is open to only year 1 and year 2 students of Nigerian tertiary institutions.
- Participants are required to scan bona fide proof of studentship alongside their essays.
- Proof should include letters of admission and identity cards of the institution.
- Essays should be sent to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Essays should be a maximum of 1200 words (+ or – 10%) double spaced in MS word and font size 12.
- Plagiarism will not be accepted.
- Essays should end with the name, telephone number and email address of the participant.
- Essays that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified.
- Only successful participants will be contacted
Prizes and Awards
- 1st: N500,000 Education Grant plus a laptop & a plaque + Publication of the winning essay In NIMASA’s magazine, The VOYAGE & the NIMASA website.
- 2nd: N350,000 Education Grant + a laptop & a plaque.
- 3rd: N250,000 Education Grant + a laptop & a plaque.
- Seven (7) Consolation Awards of N100,000 Education Grant each & a plaque.
The deadline for the NIMASA World Maritime Day Essay Scholarship Competition is Monday, March 14th to Sunday, April 3rd, 2022.
Essays submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Award of Essay Scholarship
- Winners will be notified within two weeks after the deadline.
- Prizes and awards will be presented at a date to be announced.