The WAEC syllabus for GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs is the topic you must study to sit for the examination. It contains the aims and objectives, notes and format for the GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs exam.
Studying the GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs syllabus is necessary for your exam preparation. It will serve as a guide for you to know the topics to read. There are also notes on concepts you should pay attention to learning.
Exam preparations without using the GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs syllabus are like going to the farm without your agricultural tools. You will end up not being productive.
Ensure you begin your exam preparations using the syllabus.
Table of contents
- WAEC GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs Syllabus
- WAEC Syllabus
- Apprenticeship (Industrial Training)
- List of Minimum Items of Equipment for a Class of Fifty Candidates
WAEC GSM Phones Maintenance and Repairs Syllabus
This syllabus is designed to assess candidates’ basic skills of maintenance of mobile phones, in terms of knowledge and competence in fault finding and systematic repairs.
It also assesses candidates’ knowledge of setting up and managing a mobile phone maintenance and repair enterprise.
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the syllabus are to test candidates’ knowledge and understanding of:
- Basic concept and terminologies
- Tracing, testing, troubleshooting, maintenance and repairs of mobile phones
- Analyzing mobile phone PCB circuits
- Different fault finding techniques
- Using internet resources, data manuals, service manuals and troubleshooting manuals
- General safety precautions in mobile phones repair and maintenance
- The requirement for setting up and successfully running a mobile phone maintenance and repair business
Scheme of Examination
There will be two papers – Paper 1 and Paper 2. The papers shall be a composite paper to be taken at one sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of 40 multiple choice objective questions to be answered in 45 minutes. The paper will carry 40 marks.
PAPER 2: Will consist of two sections, Sections A and B both lasting 1 ¾ hours and carrying a total of 100 marks.
Section A will comprise twelve essay questions. Candidates will be required to answer any ten of them in 55 minutes for a total of 60 marks.
Section B will comprise two questions on test of practical work for candidates to answer all in 50 minutes for 40 marks.
Introduction to Mobile Phones and Service Providers
- Mobile phones acronyms and terminologies
- Mobile phone bands and their uses
- Types of mobile phones
- Phone accessories and their functions
- Types of menus and sub-menus
- Service providers and their codes
Basic Computer and Internet Concepts
- Introduction to computer
- Introduction to internet
- Browsing the web
Essential Components of Mobile Phones and their Functions
- Structure of mobile phones
- Hardware components
- Software components
Maintenance and Repair of Mobile Phones
- Electronic components in mobile phones
- Preventive maintenance
- Corrective maintenance
- Common tools and equipment for hardware and software repairs.
- Safety in mobile phone workshop
- Common hardware problems
- Common software problems
- Basic trouble-shooting
- Tracing and fault finding in hardware
- Fault finding in software
Setting Up and Managing Mobile Phone Workshop
- Setting up a mobile phone work shop
- Facilities/equipment for mobile phone workshop.
- Managing a mobile phone business
Apprenticeship (Industrial Training)
Candidates are required to spend a minimum cumulative total of eight weeks of apprenticeship in an accredited repair and maintenance centre.
List of Minimum Items of Equipment for a Class of Fifty Candidates
|Item No||Equipment||Quantity Required|
|1||Scrap mobile phone/Mobile phone parts||10|
|2||Mobile phone manuals||10|
|4||Chat of service codes||1|
|5||Phones accessories (various types)||25|
|6||Data cable (various types)||25|
|15.||PCB Board holder||25|
|17.||Magnifying desk lamp||10|
|19.||Re-balling kits (Chat)||05|
|20.||Flashing and unlocking devices||02|
|21.||Cables and wires||Assorted|
|22.||DC Regulated power supply||02|