This annual essay contest is organised in an effort to increase awareness of current global issues among the young population.
It also aims to stimulate the initiative and creative thinking abilities of young minds towards sustainable development. In addition, the essay contest seeks to get society to learn from the young minds and to recognize that it is our collective responsibility to address these issues.
About the University
Coal City University (CCU) in the Enugu State of Nigeria is a not-for-profit private university established in 2016.
The University is a globally focused and fast-rising university in Nigeria.
The University aspires to be a world-class centre of learning and research that will produce well-rounded, entrepreneurial, and globally employable graduates.
Theme: Climate Change
The climate impacts the health and well-being of people, including their mental balance, psychological comfort and mood.
Climate change threatens the essential ingredients of health such as clean air, safe drinking water, nutritious food supply and safe shelter. It also has the potential to undermine decades of progress in global health (WHO).
Saving the climate is an urgent task in which everyone has a role to play.
Your essay should answer the following questions:
- “What are you doing to help save the Climate”?
- “What can you do to help save the climate”?
- Are you doing anything consciously to make a difference?
Thank you for taking the time to learn about Coal City University Essay Contest.
Our judges value original insights, as well as clear and correct writing. Essays should be directed to a well-informed general audience, not a strictly academic one, and should be based primarily on the student’s own observations.
- The essay may be submitted by anyone in a Senior Secondary School (SS1-SS3).
- The essay should be between 700-1000 words and must be typed, with the title and name of the author written at the top of the page. (Your name and title of the essay are not included in the word count limit).
- There are no particular rules regarding formatting (font style, size, line space, etc.).
- Entries are to be submitted online. To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page @ www.ccu.edu.ng. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- The essay must be original, as plagiarised submissions will be rejected.
- Co-authored essays will not be accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
Deadline: Entries must be received by July 15, 2022 (11.59 pm WAT).
The following awards would be given to shortlisted students as follows:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, a prize of ₦500,000 Cash or a Full tuition fee scholarship in Coal City University for any course of your choice.
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, a prize of ₦250,000
- 3rd Prize: Certificate, a prize of ₦150,000
- All Shortlisted Students: Certificates and Consolation prizes.
- Additional Awards (Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
- All shortlisted winners will be invited to Coal City University, Enugu for an award ceremony.
- All shortlisted winners will be announced on July 22, 2022, via the website ccu.edu.ng. They will also receive an SMS.
- We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
Please submit your entries below
We will send updates about the 2022 essay competition, and news about shortlisted candidates and the awards ceremony.
We will also share with you reading recommendations, from time to time. We would call all participants to confirm their basic information and progress with the essay.