Germany is a top academic study destination for Nigerian students to acquire world-class university education.
Colleges and Universities in Germany offer free education to Nigerian students in different academic disciplines.
Germans believe education should not be a medium for the Government or Private individuals to get money from students. It is why you can study for free in Germany as a Nigerian student.
Studying in Germany will usher you into many opportunities during your studies and after graduation.
This post is about the list of free universities in Germany for Nigerian students. I have also included the requirements and experiences of studying in Germany.
Let me know in the comment if you have any questions or need further assistance. I would love to hear from you.
Good luck to you as you begin your journey to studying in Germany.
Table of contents
- Studying in Germany
- Germany Student Visa
- Free Universities in Germany for Nigerian Students
- University of Cologne
- University of Münster
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg
- University of Duisburg-Essen
- Technische Universität München
- RWTH Aachen University
Studying in Germany
German universities offer high-quality education for Nigerian students in undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
Studying in Germany has a lot of benefits to your career and personal life experiences.
The advantage of studying in Germany as a Nigerian student is;
- Free university education
- Ability to work and study
- Access to high-quality education
- Rich cultural experiences
- Opportunity to learn the German language
- Affordable cost of living
- Study every course in English
- Eighteen (18) months opportunity for job search after graduation
Germany Student Visa
A German student visa is a pass to travel to Germany for your academic studies.
Nigerian students who want to study in Germany are issued a Type D visa at the German Consulate General in Lagos.
You can get the visa after scheduling a visa interview appointment.
Students going for the interview must have created their block accounts.
A German student Block account is a type of account where you are allowed to make a minimum amount of withdrawal every month.
To open a German Student Block account, you will make a monetary deposit of the total expenses for your first year’s stay in Germany.
The visa you will get at the German Consulate General office is temporal. You will apply for a Student Resident Permit visa on your arrival in Germany.
Free Universities in Germany for Nigerian Students
|Free University in Germany||Location|
|University of Cologne||Cologne|
|University of Münster||Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich||Munich|
|Goethe University Frankfurt||Frankfurt am Main|
|University of Duisburg-Essen||North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Technische Universität München||Munich|
|FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg||Erlangen and Nuremberg|
|RWTH Aachen University||Aachen|
|Freie Universität Berlin||Berlin|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich||Munich|
University of Cologne
To apply for an undergraduate degree programme, you must possess a formal university entrance qualification to German universities (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung) and sufficient proficiency in German language.
A Hochschulzugangsberechtigung makes you eligible to apply to a German university. You can find out whether your secondary school leaving certificate is equivalent to a Hochschulzugangsberechtigung in Germany here: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/tools/check-university-admission/
German Language Proficiency
The teaching language of all Bachelor’s programs at the University of Cologne is German. The same applies to the state examination courses and the course of studies with 1. Prüfung (law).
Therefore, to study at the University of Cologne, you must prove very good German language skills, at least at the level DSH-2 (or equivalent). We recognize the following German certificates:
- TestDaF TDN 4 in all examination parts
- DSH 2*
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom, level II of the KMK (DSD II)
- Telc C1 Hochschule
- Telc C2
- Goethe-Insitut C2 certificate
- ÖSD C2
- Feststellungsprüfung (FSP) with subject Deutsch
* Only DSH of higher education institutions with registered examination regulations in accordance with the provisions of the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK).
According to the current DSH regulations, certain international school-leaving certificates, e.g. from German-speaking regions, are recognised as exceptions or as equivalent. If you have any questions, please contact us via our contact form.
If you have not yet reached this level, but already have a completed level B2, we offer you a preparatory German course.
Special Application Requirements
Special application requirements apply to certain fields of study. Please consult the relevant websites for more information:
- Undergraduate Students
- Master Students
- Doctoral Students
- Preparatory German Language Courses
- Application for Advanced Semester
- Changing the Degree Course
- Exchange students from partner universities
- Foreign Language Teaching Assistant
University of Münster
Nigerianl students are very welcome at the University of Münster!
Whether you’re interested in spending just one semester here or wish to enrol as a full-time student in an undergraduate, graduate or PhD programme, we can provide you with all the information you need about programmes and services at the WWU and life in Münster.
The International Office is the central advice office for international students in bachelor’s, master’s and state examination programmes. You can find more information below.
English Taught Programmes
- B.Sc. Human Movement in Sports and Exercise
- M.Sc. Geospatial Technologies (ERASMUS MUNDUS)
- M.Sc. Geoinformatics
- M.Sc. Information Systems
- M.Sc. Public Sector InnOvation and EGovERnance – PIONEER
- M.Sc. Physics
- M.Sc. Sports, Exercise and Human Performance
- M.A. British, American and Postcolonial Studies
- M.A. National and Transnational Studies: Literature, Culture, Language
- M.A. Sozialanthropologie / Social Anthropology
- M.A. Comparative Public Governance (Double-degree master’s Programme)
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- M.Sc. Geophysics
Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
LMU has a reputation for its extensive range of subjects. Here, you can learn from leading academics at one of Germany’s most renowned universities.
Study in the heart of Munich and gain first-hand, practical experience as you go.
English Taught Master’s Programs
- American History, Culture and Society
- Data Science
- English Studies
- Evolution, Ecology and Systematics
- Financial and Insurance Mathematics
- Geobiology and Paleobiology
- Geomaterials and Geochemistry
- Human Biology — Principles of Health and Disease
- Insurance, Executive Master
- International Health
- Logic and Philosophy of Science
- Management – European Triple Degree
- Management – International Triple Degree
- Management and Digital Technologies
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Neuro-Cognitive Psychology
- Plant Science
- Psychology Master’s Program in the Learning Sciences
- Quantitative Economics
- Software Engineering
- Statistics and Data Science
- Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
Application for Admissions
If you fulfill all the prerequisites for studying at LMU Munich, you can start the application process.
International applicants (without German nationality) who wish to study at LMU will generally need to submit their application to the International Office.
However, in certain cases they will need to apply to the Office of the University Registrar (Studentenkanzlei) or the Foundation for University Admission (Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung).
So, please first find out where you need to apply!
If you want to study a subject for which you have to go through an aptitude assessment, you will be required to apply additionally in time via the respective institute.
You can find out the registration dates at the respective institute. Please check the list of subjects to see if you want to choose such a subject.
At the RUB, cutting-edge research at an international level is not only incorporated into courses that are committed to the principle of research-based learning right from the start.
Equally important is the transfer of knowledge and findings into industry and the public, as well as the strengthening of the entrepreneurial spirit of students.
Are you an international applicant and would like to study at Ruhr-Universität Bochum?
Please check first whether your financing is secure and inform yourself about our programmes offered.
Please note that you must apply for all degree programmes (with restricted admission and free admission).
The online application is only possible during limited periods:
- For the winter semester: from the beginning of June to 15 July
- For the summer semester: from the beginning of December to 15 January
Goethe University Frankfurt
Goethe University is a large university in the heart of Europe offering undergraduate and advanced degrees in all traditional faculties.
Students at Goethe University can choose from over 200 degree programmes in 16 faculties at three main campus locations in the city Frankfurt am Main.
You can get detailed information about Goethe University’s academic spectrum and study programmes at the following links:
- General overview of study programmes (German)
- List of bachelor degree programmes (German)
- List of master degree programmes
- Overview of bilingual and English master programmes
- Current course catalog (click on flag for English)
- Goethe Business School (continuing education)
Application Advisory Services
- Undergraduate degrees (Bachelor & state examination) & study preparations
- Master’s degrees & doctorate
- Further advisory services
Before you Apply
- Options for studying & range of studies at Goethe University
- Qualification (recognition of certificates) & German language requirements
- Undergraduate degrees (Bachelor & state examination)
- Master & international programmes
- Doctoral studies
- Uni-assist exceptions & special procedures
If you would like to complete an entire degree programme at the University of Würzburg (Bachelor, Master, State Examination, Doctorate), please read through the information on the following topics:
- Study programmes at the University of Würzburg
- Application procedure and admission to a degree programme for foreign students
- Steps to take before and after your arrival
Foreign students who would like to study as an exchange student for one or two semesters in Würzburg can find all important Information here.
You can find further practical information for your stay in Würzburg here.
University of Duisburg-Essen
The University of Duisburg-Essen (UDE) – one of the youngest and largest universities in Germany – is located in the middle of the Ruhr Metropolitan Region.
Its broad spectrum of subjects ranges from humanities, social sciences and education to economics, engineering, natural sciences and medicine.
Technische Universität München
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe’s top universities. It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education and the active promotion of promising young scientists.
The university also forges strong links with companies and scientific institutions across the world.
TUM was one of the first universities in Germany to be named a University of Excellence.
Moreover, TUM regularly ranks among the best European universities in international rankings.
Anyone considering university study in Germany has a lot to think about: How can I finance my study and stay? How good must my German language skills be?
Where do I apply? How do I get to know other students – and what kind of services does the Technical University of Munich (TUM) offer for international students?
RWTH Aachen University
We are happy you are interested in studying at RWTH Aachen.
Are you still looking for a suitable subject? Take a look at RWTH Aachen’s current courses of study.
There are different processes for applying for a study placement in a Bachelor’s course of study. You can find all the important information on our pages about a Bachelor’s for internationals.
You always have to apply for a study placement in a Master’s course. In addition to German-language courses of study RWTH Aachen also offers Master’s programs in English. On our pages for international Master’s students you will find all the information you need to apply.
All of the faculties at RWTH Aachen have the right to award doctoral degrees. If you are interested in obtaining your doctorate at RWTH Aachen, take a look at the information for international prospective doctoral candidates.
If you have been admitted to RWTH Aachen and have decide to attend here, you should make sure to plan your stay in addition to knowing how you will finance it. In order to help you plan we have put together information about organizing your stay abroad.
Use our Welcome Week here in Aachen to get all the information needed for a successful start and to make your first contacts.
Do you want to complete study abroad at RWTH Aachen? You can find all of the necessary information on our pages for exchange and program students.
Do you have additional questions? You can find the answers on our pages about particulars of international applicants.