Getting a scholarship is one of the ways to make money as a student in Nigeria. Fully funded undergraduate scholarships cover tuition fees and other school expenses.
Winning a scholarship will ease the financial burden of your school expenses on your parents. Some Nigerian students get up to five (5) scholarships in school.
There are special undergraduate scholarships in Nigeria. These scholarships are available to students of a particular department.
In this post, you will see the current ongoing undergraduate scholarships in Nigeria and their requirements. You will learn when and how to apply for scholarship opportunities.
I would love to hear from you in the comment box below.
Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.
Table of contents
Types of Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
The following are the types of undergraduate scholarships;
- Federal Government Scholarship
- State Bursary Scholarship
- Multinational Company Scholarship
- Foundation Scholarship
- Individual Scholarship
- Local Government Scholarship
- Village Scholarship
- NGO Scholarship
Federal Government Scholarship
Federal government undergraduate scholarships are scholarship opportunities by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
There are a few Federal government scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students in Nigeria.
PTDF scholarship is an example of a Federal government scholarship.
State Bursary Scholarship
A State government provides scholarships for undergraduate students through a bursary.
You are only eligible to apply for your state scholarship. For example, a student from Delta State can only apply for Delta State Bursary.
Multinational Company Scholarship
Multinational companies in Nigeria provide scholarships for Nigerian students.
These companies provide the bulk of scholarship opportunities for students. They are the best scholarship in Nigeria.
Total Energies Scholarship is a type of Multinational company scholarship in Nigeria.
Many foundations in Nigeria provide scholarships for students in Nigeria.
Jim Ovia Scholarship is an example of a foundation scholarship.
An individual usually sponsors this type of scholarship.
Most of the time, these people are politicians and successful CEO.
For example, a wealthy person can sponsor two students in the village to the University.
Orji Kalu scholarship is an example of this kind of scholarship opportunity.
Local Government Scholarship
Local government scholarships are a type of scholarship opportunities
There are not many local government scholarship opportunities available for students.
A village can provide scholarship opportunities for students from their communities.
Members of a village living abroad can also sponsor this scholarship.
Alumni is an association for individuals that have graduated from an institution.
Many alumni associations provide scholarship opportunities for students in their schools.
The UNN Alumni Scholarship is an example of this kind of scholarship opportunity.
NGO scholarships are scholarship opportunities in Nigeria by Non-governmental organizations.
You can apply for these scholarships on the NGO websites.
Scholarship in Nigeria for Undergraduate
Here is the list of scholarship opportunities in Nigeria for undergraduate students;
|Nigerian Undergraduate Scholarship||Required Level||CGPA|
|NNPC/Total Scholarship||100 & 200 Level||3.5|
|Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship||100 – 500 Level||None|
|NDDC Undergraduate Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|NNPC/Addax Petroleum Scholarship||100 Level||None|
|HillCity Foundation Scholarship||All Levels||4.0|
|Midwestern Oil & Gas JV Scholarship||100 & 200 Level||None|
|Oriental Energy Resources Limited Scholarship||200 Level||2.5|
|Beta Sigma Excellence Scholarship||All Levels||4.0|
|Seyi Bickersteth Scholarship Programme||100 Level||None|
|MTN Foundation Scholarship||300 Level||None|
|PTDF Scholarship||All Levels||3.5|
|Alex Otti Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship||200 Level||3.5|
|NLNG Scholarship||100 Level||None|
|SEPLAT Scholarship||200 Level||3.5|
|Agbami Scholarship||200 Level||3.5|
|Shell Nigeria Students Scholarship Schemes||200 Level||2.5|
|Stanbic IBTC University Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|Imole Noble Educational Foundation Scholarship||100 & 200 Level||None|
|Orji Uzor Kalu Foundation Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|NHEF Annual Scholarship Essay Competition||All Levels||None|
|Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) Undergraduate Scholarship||100 Level||None|
|Guinness Nigeria Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|Zamfara State Government Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|NLNG Scholarship||100 Level||None|
|ABC Transport National University Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|UNN-USA Alumni Scholarship||All Levels||4.0|
|David Oyedepo Foundation scholarship||100 Level||None|
|Exxon-Mobil Undergraduate Scholarships||100 & 200 Level||3.5|
|Gani Fawehinmi Annual Scholarship||All Levels||None|
|Stephen Oluwole Awokoya Foundation for Science Education||All Levels||None|
NNPC/Total Undergraduate Scholarship
The NNPC/Total undergraduate scholarship provides annual scholarship grants to successful candidates from the year of the award (first year or second year) to completing their degree program.
The following categories of students are not qualified to apply for the scholarship program;
- Students with a less than 200 score in UTME need not apply.
- Students with less than 2.50 CGPA on a 5-point scale or equivalent
- 300 level students and above need not apply
- Current beneficiaries of similar awards from any other Company or Government Agency need not apply.
Exxon-Mobil Undergraduate Scholarships
The NNPC/MPN JV scholarship is aimed at assisting the Federal Government of Nigeria in the training and developing medium and high-level manpower for the country while also enhancing a possible feeder pool of employable candidates into the company.
Some of the candidates have been successful in the company’s recruitment exercise after graduation; however, there is no obligation by ExxonMobil to offer employment to the awardees upon their completion of studies.
- Be holders of the SSCE or its equivalent with at least six subjects passed at a sitting.
- Applicants must be registered full-time undergraduates in their 1st or 2nd year of study in any Nigerian University.
- Students currently on similar scholarship awards from other oil and gas companies should not apply.
- Dependants of employees of Mobil Producing Nigeria, Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc and Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Limited are not eligible for this scholarship.
Optimum Resources Management is a multidisciplinary consortium of experts in various fields of technical development.
One of its flagship services is the broad-based provision of e-solution and innovative educational resources management with a speciality in educational funds management, award of grants, bursaries, and scholarship schemes on behalf of multinationals, donors, national, states, LGAs and communities.
- Have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 in a 5-grade system and
- Have a minimum of six O-level credits in one sitting.
E-applications are invited from full-time second year (200 LEVEL) degree students studying any of the under-listed courses in Nigerian Universities:
- Medicine and Surgery
Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship
The Jim Ovia Scholars Program was founded in 1998. Mr Jim Ovia fully funds it to provide financial aid to outstanding Nigerian youths.
The scholarship was previously known as the MUSTE scholarship.
Eligible awardees are supported for their undergraduate and graduate study for the duration of their program and include tuition and maintenance allowances.
- Completed online application
- Valid Government ID (e.g. International passport, Voter’s Card, National ID or Driver’s License)
- An official original letter (not photocopied) letter from your school/Head of Department stating the following:
- Your full-name
- Course Title
- Department of Study
- Matriculation number
NNPC/Addax Petroleum Scholarship
Addax Petroleum Development (Nigerian) Limited (APDNL), operator of NNPC/ADDAX Production Sharing Contract (PSC) in pursuance of its Corporate Social Responsibility, invites suitably qualified applicants from its host communities to apply for the Host Community Tertiary Scholarship Scheme.
To qualify for consideration, applicants MUST be:
- Registered Full TIME undergraduates in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions
- Certified 100 level students at the time of application
- For OND students, the award will be for 2 years only
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a Federal Government agency with the mandate of developing indigenous human capacity and petroleum technology to meet the needs of the oil and gas industry.
- Applicants must have a National Identity Number (NIN) before applying for the scholarship.
- Applicants are to note that they will be required to verify their NIN before proceeding with the application (NIMC verification charges apply).
- Applicants who have benefitted from any of the PTDF scholarships in the past cannot apply for the same or lower category of degree.
- Applicants who are beneficiaries of any other scholarship need not apply.
- Application is restricted to Federal Universities and for specific courses only.
Possession of a valid admission letter into the University is mandatory for all applicants.
Alex Otti Foundation Scholarship
Alex Otti foundation scholarship programme aims to empower young people through educational opportunities.
It is targeted towards outstanding individuals who demonstrate the potential for future leadership in Abia State.
The programme helps students in publicly-owned tertiary institutions in Nigeria to offset the cost of their education.
- Students currently in 2nd-year (200 Level) in any government-owned tertiary institution in Nigeria.
- The candidate must have had at least a CGPA of 3.5 – for universities (or its equivalent, for other tertiary institutions) in his/her first academic session (that is, First Year).
Beta Sigma Excellence Scholarship
In partnership with UNN-USA, Beta Sigma is giving additional scholarships in 2021/2022.
Beta Sigma is a social, cultural, philanthropic, national and international service organization of undergraduates and graduates of the University of Nigeria dedicated to rendering service to the community and the nation.
To be eligible, students must have completed one full academic year of study at the University with a GPA of 4.0 or higher. Members of Beta Sigma and their relatives are ineligible to apply.
All eligible students are encouraged to apply.
Nigeria LNG Limited supports education through several initiatives. One of them is Scholarships.
NLNG has a four-tier scholarship programme that channels support for human capital development and encourage high performance, ultimately growing a pool of high-potential students, graduates and professionals with a competitive advantage.
The scholarship award value is N150,000 per annum for the course duration of each awardee.
HillCity Foundation Scholarship
HillCity Foundation scholarship is a non-profit based scholarship for students in Nigeria.
The goal of the scholarship award is to promote and add value to young people in a sustainable manner.
Here are the minimum requirements to apply for HillCity Foundation Scholarship
- Minimum CGPA of 4.0
- Student of Federal or State University in Nigeria.
- Two letters of recommendation from 2 lecturers in your school
- Valid ID card
- Signed Result/Evidence of CGPA by your HOD
- Letter of Identification from your department
Nigerian Agip Oil Company Scholarship
Nigerian Agip Exploration (NAE) Limited, on behalf of the NNPC/NAE PSC, is committed to the training and development of manpower as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme.
MTN Foundation Scholarship
MTN Scholarships under the Youth Development Cause is an annual award that seeks to recognize and reward qualified high performing students in Nigerian Public Tertiary Institutions:
MTN Science and Technology Scholarship is open to eligible 300 level students studying Science & Technology-related courses in Nigerian Public Tertiary Institutions (Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges of Education). 300 successful students are awarded scholarships worth N200,000.00 annually till graduation if they maintain the required grades.
Shell Nigeria Students Scholarship Schemes
Education, as all parents and guardians admit, is a long-term investment with an equally long gestation period, but it is one of the best legacies to bequeath to individuals, groups and society. That has been the belief of Shell Nigeria since 1952.
The University Scholarship Scheme, a programme run by SPDC on behalf of the NNPC/Shell/Elf/Agip Joint Venture, makes a quiet but very profound commentary on the company’s interest in promoting capacity building in the country.
Every year, more than 4,000 Nigerian undergraduates write aptitude tests to join the ever-growing list of students Shell Nigeria supports in Nigerian Universities.
The applicants are shortlisted based on the national SSCE and JAMB examination results. An aptitude test at the PortHarcourt, Warri, Enugu, Lagos and Abuja centres follows this.
There are two categories of the Scholarship Scheme, the National Merit Award (NM), open to Nigerian undergraduates and the Areas of Operation Merit Award (AOM), for students from communities in which Shell Nigeria operates. Only first-year students are eligible for the awards in both categories.
An average of 16,000 applicants respond to advertisements by Shell Nigeria every year, inviting qualified candidates to apply for the scholarships, which are tenable only in Nigerian Universities.
Guinness Nigeria Scholarship
For over 10 years, Guinness Nigeria’s learning for life programme has provided a platform for the Company to support youth development across its host communities in Lagos and Edo states.
In the last financial year, Guinness Nigeria paid tuition for 20 undergraduates (from our host communities) who are beneficiaries of the scheme.
The undergraduate scholarship scheme is one of three scholarship schemes Guinness Nigeria leverages to support young Nigerians.
Guinness Nigeria also sponsors a technical training scholarship that enables young school leavers to study at the Institute for Industrial Technology (IIT), Isheri Lagos State.
This scholarship (which covers full tuition for a three-year Electromechanics program) underpins our Company’s commitment to equipping young Nigerians with the technical skills they need to pursue successful careers in engineering.
Oriental Energy Resources Limited Scholarship
Operating offshore in Akwa Ibom State, the oil company targets scholarship applicants specifically from Effiat and Mbo communities and applicants who are indigenes of other Local Government Areas of the state.
Open to only 200-level students currently undertaking undergraduate studies in any recognised university in Nigeria; applications are expected to be completed and submitted online.
- Applicants must be 200-level students currently undertaking undergraduate studies in any recognised university in Nigeria.
Seyi Bickersteth Scholarship Programme
Seyi Bickersteth Scholarship Fund, in partnership with KPMG, Andersen and Leadway Assurance Company Limited, invites suitably qualified applicants for the Seyi Bickersteth Scholarship Programme (SBSP).
The scholarship is in honour of Seyi Bickersteth, who served as a Senior Partner of KPMG in Nigeria from 2002 to 2016, and Chairman of KPMG Africa from 2014 to 2016.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 5 Distinctions (As & Bs) from their WASSCE (including English and Mathematics).
- Students’ SSCE results cannot also be older than 2 years.
- A minimum score of 230 in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- Candidates must have admission into a Federal University in Nigeria.
- Candidates’ four-year course must be in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Insurance or Actuarial Sciences.
- Seyi Bickersteth Scholarship Programme is open to students admitted into 100 level of their studies at the time of application. The scholarship is open to students who attended public secondary schools in Nigeria or private secondary schools (where the student received a scholarship to attend)
- Only students that are not currently on any scholarship scheme are eligible.
Stanbic IBTC University Scholarship
The scholarship initiative continues our goal to support the dreams and aspirations of Nigerian youths as we have been doing over the years through various activities such as Youth Leadership Series (YLS), Higher Institution Football League (HIFL) and so on.
The scholarship programme encourages hard work and academic excellence amongst Nigerian undergraduates. It is open to students who participated in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and has gained admission into any Nigerian state or federal University.
The following documents are required for uploading to apply for the scholarship.
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Valid ID Card
- UTME Result
- O’Level ( WAEC, NECO or GCE) Statement of Result or Certificate
- JAMB or University Admission Letter
Midwestern Oil & Gas JV Scholarship
Midwestern Oil and Gas Company Limited, the operator of the Umusadege Field in OML 56, Delta State and its JV Partner SunTrust Oil Company Nigeria Limited, has since commencing production, embarked on various schemes that deliver enduring progress to the indigenes of its host communities and Delta State in general by constantly investing in human capital to ensure economic development.
The scholarship is open to 100 & 200 level students at the time of application.
- JAMB/UTME & University admission letter from an accredited/approved university in Nigeria.
- Minimum of 5 Credits in SSCE or GCE, including Maths & English, in one sitting.
- Current University ID Card
- Identification letter signed by Ward Counsellor or CACC ( Community Accredited Contact-men Committee)
Imole Noble Educational Foundation Scholarship
Late Aihaja Ramota Olatunde Adejonwo established the Imole Noble Educational Foundation (INEF) to award scholarships to indigent but brilliant students who have gained admission into public tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
This fulfils her life-long burden for the plight of the less privileged in society.
The scholarship is opened to indigent but brilliant 100 level to 200 level undergraduates in public universities across the 6 geo-political zones in Nigeria.
Applicants should indicate the following in their Application: Name, School, Course of Study, Level, State of Origin, Phone Number, and Email Address, with the following enclosed:
- A copy of Admission Letter,
- A copy of Registration form,
- Copy of School ID Card, and
- Two (2) recent passport photographs with name and signature at the back page.
Note: Successful applicants across the 6 geo-political zones will be contacted via their email addresses.
NHEF Annual Scholarship Essay Competition
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) is pleased to announce its 6th Annual Scholarship Essay Competition.
This year’s competition aims to provide a platform that encourages Nigerian university students to think critically and strategically on topical issues that are vital to Nigeria’s sustainable growth and development.
This competition is only open to students enrolled at NHEF Partner Universities. NHEF will verify the enrolment of each contestant with the University Registrar.
NHEF Partner Universities include Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University, Kano, Kwara State University, University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, University of Nigeria, Nsukka and University of Port Harcourt.
Previous NHEF Essay Competition & Scholars Program beneficiaries are not eligible to participate in this competition.
Stephen Oluwole Awokoya Foundation for Science Education
The Stephen Oluwole Awokoya Foundation for Science Education is a charitable, non-profit organisation with the primary objective of promoting science education in Nigerian Institutions of higher learning.
The Foundation was set up in the year 1995 in honour of the late Professor Stephen Oluwole Awokoya. Professor Awokoya was the first (1946) Nigerian graduate in Chemistry.
He was the first (1952) Minister of Education in Western Nigeria and later became the Federal Permanent Secretary and Chief Federal Advisor on Education. He was also a Director at the United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) in Paris for many years.
The process for awarding the scholarship starts with the application by the candidates.
Each application has to be supported or nominated by a dean of one of the various faculties or ahead of the department related to Science or Science Education at a tertiary institution in Nigeria.
The scholarship awardees are chosen based on excellence in educational performance and stated long-term objectives.
Zamfara State Government Scholarship
Zamfara state scholarship board was established by law in 1996 when the state was created out of the former Sokoto State.
The board’s primary responsibility is to disburse bursary allowance to eligible state indigenes studying in various institutions of higher learning at home and abroad.
Read the following conditions to be satisfied for the award of the Zamfara State Scholarship Carefully.
- All Candidates applying for Zamfara State Scholarship must be bonafide indigenes of Zamfara State.
- All Non-Indigenes are not eligible for the award of the Zamfara State Scholarship.
- All Candidates who are Government employees are not eligible for the award of the Zamfara State Scholarship.
- All Candidates who are undergoing sandwich courses are not eligible for the award of the Zamfara State Scholarship.
- All spill Candidates are considered only with University extension Approval.
- All Candidates must have secured admission from recognised higher institutions of learning to study a course with supporting documents, i.e. Admission Letter.
- Students of private Universities/Institutions are not eligible for the awards of the Zamfara State Scholarship; only public school students are considered.
- All Candidates for Matriculation or IJMB courses must apply after completion to submit fresh scholarship application forms for his/her Diploma or Degree Programmes.
Let me know if you have any questions or need further clarification. I would love to assist you.
You can watch my videos on the Studentship YouTube Channel by clicking here.
Join my Facebook Group for more interactive discussions.