The WAEC syllabus for Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work is the topic you must study to sit for the examination. It contains the aims and objectives, notes and format for the Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work exam.
Studying the Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work syllabus is necessary for your exam preparation. It will serve as a guide for you to know the topics to read. There are also notes on concepts you should pay attention to learning.
Exam preparations without using the Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work syllabus are like going to the farm without your agricultural tools. You will end up not being productive.
Ensure you begin your exam preparations using the syllabus.
Table of contents
- WAEC Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work
- WAEC Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work Syllabus
- List of Facilities and Materials
WAEC Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work
This examination syllabus emanates from the senior secondary school trade curriculum on electrical installation and maintenance work.
It does not replace the curriculum. It is designed to assess candidates’ skills in electrical installation and maintenance work in terms of basic knowledge and application of electricity, faults finding in electrical installations as well as maintenance and repair of electrical machines.
It is also designed to test candidates’ knowledge of setting up and managing small scale business in electrical installation and maintenance work.
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the syllabus are to test candidates’ knowledge and understanding of
- safety rules and regulations in electrical installation and maintenance work.
- electrical installation tools, materials and accessories.
- wiring of buildings.
- installation of electrical machines and repairs.
- rewinding of electrical machines.
- entrepreneurship skill in electrical installation and maintenance.
There will be two papers, Papers 1 and 2; both of which will be a composite paper to be taken in one sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of forty multiple choice objective questions to be answered in 45 minutes for 40 marks.
PAPER 2: This Will be an essay and test of practical work paper, covering the entire syllabus. It will be in two sections; Sections A and B as follows:
Section A: Will consist of three essay questions out of which candidates will be required to answer two questions in 1 hour for 50 marks.
Section B: This Will be a test of practical work and will contain two compulsory questions drawn from Sections B and C of the syllabus.
Candidates will be required to answer the questions in 1 hour 15 minutes for 50 marks.
The paper will therefore take 2 hours 15 minutes and carry 100 marks.
WAEC Electrical Installation and Maintenance Work Syllabus
Workshop Safety Rules and Regulations
- Hazards in electrical workshop.
- Dangers in electrical workshop.
- Precautions in handling electrical tools and materials.
- First-aid for electrical accidents.
- Statutory regulations.
Electrical Installation Tools, Materials and Accessories
- Measuring, marking and striking tools.
- Types and preparation of cables.
- Electrical accessories.
- Working drawing.
- Generation, transmission and distribution systems.
- Surface wiring.
- Conduit wiring.
- Joints and termination of cables.
- Underground cable installation.
- Overhead wire installation.
- Inspection and testing of domestic installation.
- D.C machines.
- A.C machines.
- 1Installation of machines.
- Tools and equipment for rewinding jobs.
- Winding drawing.
- Rewinding of single phase electric motor.
- Armature, commutator and slip rings.
Protective Devices and Maintenance
- Installation of protective devices.
- Maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Dismantling and assembling of machines.
- Repair of electrical machines, equipment and installation.
Entrepreneurship in Electrical Installation
List of Facilities and Materials
- Soldering iron
- Soldering lead
- Plier (different types
- Set of screw drivers
- Safety chart
- Cable chart
- Megger (Insulation Resistant Tester)
- Fishing Tape
- Measuring tape 3m and 50m
- Pen knife
- Bending spring (20mm)
- Bending machine
- Handrilling machine
- Single phase electric motor