Studying Insurance subject is necessary for your exam preparation. It will serve as a guide for you to know the topics to read. There are also notes on concepts you should pay attention to learning.
Ensure you begin your exam preparations using the syllabus.
This post contains the Insurance and recommended textbooks of the West African Examination Council (WAEC).
WAEC Insurance Syllabus
There will be two Papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2, which will be a composite paper to be taken at one sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of 50 compulsory multiple-choice questions which would last for fifty (50) minutes and carry fifty (50) marks.
PAPER 2: Will consist of two sections, Section A and Section B.
Section A will consist of a compulsory case study and compulsory question on it while Section B will consist of six essay questions, out of which candidates will be expected to answer four.
The case study passage will be between 200 to 250 words and will carry 20 marks.
Questions in section B will carry fifteen (15) marks each. The Paper will last for 2 hours and carry eighty (80) marks.
Introduction Principles of Insurance
- Insurable Interest
- Utmost Good Faith
- Proximate Cause
Documents Used in Effecting Contract
- Proposal Forms
- Cover Notes
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Re- insurance
- Insurance Renewals
- Insurance Claims
- Insurance Premium
Non-Life Insurance Product
- Motor Insurance
- Fire Insurance
- Theft Insurance and Burglary Insurance
- Money Insurance
- Fidelity Guarantee Insurance
- Engineering Insurance
- Marine Insurance
- Aviation Insurance
- Employer’s liability
- Public liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Business Interruption Insurance( Consequential loss)
- Personal Accident Insurance
Insurance Market (Operators)
- Market Operators
- Insurance Companies
- Reinsurance Companies
- Insurance Intermediaries (Brokers and Agents)
- Insurance Buyers
- Individual and private
- Corporate and public institutions
- Insurance Sellers
- Insurance Companies
- Re-insurance Companies
- Supporting Services (Assessor and Loss Adjusters)
- Nigerian Insurance Association (NIA )
- Nigerian Council of Registered Insurance Brokers ( NCRIB)
- Institute of Loss Adjusters of Nigeria (ILAN)
- National Insurance Commission (NAICOM)
- Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria (CIIN)
Common Insurance Terminologies
- Days of grace
- Ex- gratia payment
- Extra- premium
- Excepted perils
- Subject matter of Insurance
- Under Insurance
- Return Premium
- Surrender Value
- Cover note.
WAEC Insurance Recommended Textbooks
- Insurance for Beginners ByOLoyede, F. A. and Rauf-Lawal, S. A.
- Introduction to Insurance By Robert Ngarakwe and Dr. Nwezeaku, N. C.
- Principles and Practice of Insurance By Robert Ngarakwe and Dr. Nwezeaku, N. C.
- Insurance Fundamentals ByAdeola Banjo, K. (Mrs.)
- Principles and Practice of Insurance Adeola Banjo, K. (Mrs)
- Introduction to Insurance – A Nigeria Perspective By Victor I. Okonkwo.
- Insurance For Beginners By Rauf- Lawal, Semiu A. O